Tofurky, can you ease off on the sodium?

November 5, 2010

Admittedly, some of this is because I can’t enjoy really salty foods (for flavour, not nutritional reasons) but c’mon Tofurky, isn’t “less than what’s in potato chips” a good benchmark to shoot for at least?

Here’s the data: Ruffles potato chips have 160 mg of sodium per 160 calories, and Tofurky has 620 mg per 260 calories in their beer brats.  Here’s the PDF with their comparison to actual meat products. Like I said in the video, I’m not as concerned for health issues as much as the perceived health issues with veganism that people will see (though I need to do a video about mock meats in general someday.)

Amanda November 6, 2010 at 2:23 am

I’ve been eating more of the Yves Jumbo veggie dogs for that very reason. Theirs have 460 mg of sodium, which isn’t much better, but it’s a delicious alternative, and I like the texture a little better than Tofurkey.
With Yves, just be sure you check the ingrediants before buying, as a few of their products have egg and/or dairy.
This may sound a little pervy, but I don’t mean it that way, honest! I actually rinse my weiners before microwaving them to remove any excess sodium. I don’t know how well it works, but I do taste a difference.

Chris November 8, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I avoid almost all of the fake meat products because most of them have MSG-like compounds like autolyzed yeast extract, which is chemically similar and does the same thing to me (constricted chest, numb face, difficulty focusing). These products are vegan, but they’re anything but health food, so I think the sodium is the least of the trouble. But that said, the flavor enhancers in question could actually be causing the reaction you’re having. To test, try Tofurky Franks (just the plain ones) because they lack autolyzed yeast extract, but have an even higher sodium to calorie ratio than the Beer Brats.

Jason November 8, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Chris, I love the scientific method, thanks for the great ideas!

Hannah November 11, 2010 at 10:27 am

To be honest I don’t worry about the sodium in Tofurky, and I still think that it is delicious. I like to think of their products as more of a treat than anything else. I attend college, and having to eat in a cafeteria that doesn’t really meet my nutritional needs makes me thankful for Tofurky. Not to say that Tofurky is particularly nutritional, but it helps to break the monotony of eating raw tofu and flavorless stir-fry everyday. I am working on helping the school to improve their vegan options, and they even have a vegan/vegetarian meal station now, but they are still a long ways away from making food enjoyable for vegans. Tofurky (particularly the deli slices) helps me to work with what I can get.

Greg Rekas November 12, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Thank you for your comments. We are working hard in our R&D kitchen to develop products that are nutritional and taste great. We strive to provide righteous vegan foods for your convenience.

Anton April 18, 2016 at 11:19 am

It’s 2016 and Tofurky is still way too salty.