Rethinking salads – what’s not to love, really?

November 3, 2010

I’ve seen too many vegans with internet usernames and blogs that mock salads. Maybe it’s because I think they’re wrong, but maybe I feel guilty about my past salad-hating days:

What’s your take? Do you love salads or refuse to have anything to do with them? Cast your vote in the comments so I can feel hesitant about tomorrow’s video which I’ve already shot 🙂

Amanda November 4, 2010 at 12:40 am

I’m not at all against salad, but if I’m eating out somewhere, it’s never the center of my meal, it’s more of a side dish. I just don’t find salads very satisfying by themselves. Also, a good dressing definitely makes or breaks the experience.
I don’t know why this comes to mind, but when I first became vegan 2 years ago, I was having lunch with my sister. I didn’t see many veggie options on the menu I liked, so this was one of the few times I just ordered a salad. My sister scoffed at me and said, “You’re going to waste away on this vegan thing, it’s too restricing.” I explained that the vegan diet allows for an endless variety of foods, but what I really wanted to do was stab her in the eyes with my SALAD fork….perhaps salad causes rage.

Jason November 4, 2010 at 3:05 am

OK, here’s my dumb reason to avoid veganism for the day (I knew it was in there somewhere!): being vegan sucks because there are more forks to remember.

Ba-zing.

And Amanda, I had a salad once with grilled vegetables in it that was better and more satisfying than just about any entree I’d had that year, and that was back in my “last resort only” days. Sadly it’s off the menu now…

Mirkat November 4, 2010 at 10:12 am

I LOVE salads. BIG salads, with fresh ingredients. They fill me with happy.

I think you kind of touched on why they’ve gotten a bad rap when you mentioned their being viewed as the option of “last resort” for vegans dining at non-vegan restaurants. Part of that, I think, comes from the kind of salads one ends up with. Imagine a diner where the only vegan option is a bowl with pale iceberg lettuce and some sad-looking tomato wedges and cuke slices. And your bottles of oil and vinegar on the side. Imagine the pitying glance from your omnivorous dining companion, who glances at his/her own plate, with its meat-centric entree, home fries, and cole slaw. See the thought bubble of your companion’s head: “I could NEVER be a vegan! Look at what they have to eat!”

People bristle against the perception that vegans are “stuck with” salads, so they maybe go out of their way to say they’re vegans but don’t do salad. As a salad-loving vegan, I’d be more likely to say that salads are just ONE of my many delicious vegan options.

Curiously, whenever I bring in a salad for lunch, people comment on how delicious it looks. 🙂

Sami November 4, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I’m with Mirkat here, I’m a massive salad fan. Salads are so awesome because there’s no definition for what a ‘Salad’ is. Green, Potato, Pasta, Greek, Israeli, Turkish, Vegetable, Bound, Bean, Tabuleh, Cesar, Fruit….. are a few of the defined types of salad. But essentially a salad, to me, is a mix of whatever looks interesting in the grocers or whatever I have in my fridge.

No two salads are the same, and they fit absolutely any purpose. You can use them to lighten a heavy meal, to cool off and fill you up in the summer, an excellent snack, a perfect mixing pot for your different food groups. I usually dress my salads with either Tahini (You get protein from your salad?!) or Oil/Vinegar depending on my mood. As you said you can chuck all kinds of veg into your salad, and there’s no reason at all that a salad cannot constitute your main course. You can make a salad in 5 minute, or spend an hour preparing it.

I could write for hours about how awesome I think salads can be. hopefully you get the jist. Anyone who doesn’t like salad, really needs to come to mine for dinner.

Actually, I’m just back from the pub and you know what I fancy? That’s right, a bit of cabbage salad.

James November 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm

It’s not that I hate salad. It’s that I hate iceberg lettuce. And usually when dining out, salad means iceberg lettuce. Unless you’re somewhere great, which will have enticing entrees, too.

Now, there are two exceptions. One is at home, when I am free to make my spinach-and-strawberry masterpieces, and another is at restaurants which are inhospitable to vegans except for their salad bar. (This often happens at Southern, “country” places.)

Colleen November 5, 2010 at 11:58 am

I do hate salad, and not because it’s fashionable. I hate it because I almost never enjoy eating it, even if I like every ingredient included in the salad and what makes up the dressing. Raw veggies in abundance generally make me feel a bit barfy and kind of bloated but not actually full. This isn’t true of raw juices, so I’m not sure what the real problem is. I can handle a small side salad but if I attempt that at home, a bunch of greens and other things just go bad because my husband doesn’t really like salad either.

Lauren November 8, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I like salad. I just get frustrated that when I eat out, that is the only “option”.

I also don’t like eating salad at restaurants. their lettuce is not anymore exciting than my lettuce. salads are easy to throw together, why would I pay someone to do that for me? it seems like a waste of money for what you get.

depending on the restaurant this may not be the case, fancy nice places have organic good things, and more unusual veggie combos, or amazing salad dressings.

BUT. I’m a poor college student. I’d rather pay my $7 on crappy cooked food (which is usually more dense nutritionally) than $7 on a crappy salad.

Brenna November 8, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I love salad! With a few beans and some salsa on top I think they are very satisfying.

Danielle June 11, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Salads can be great, or they can be horrible. And if it’s the only option while I’m eating out, I will not be happy at all.