Dealing with media frustration

November 8, 2010

The New York Times just published a big story about the US government’s role in promoting dairy. It’s kind of a big deal on a few fronts, but… I already knew most of it. Like, I’ve known for years. Even if you don’t go to the (surprisingly fun) parties I go to, there’s probably been a few media stories related to veganism that’ve made your head shake, because you not only already knew, but you already told these same people who are now talking to you like it’s news. Yeah, it’s great they’re covering it, but now you have to deal with people…

This week we’re going to cover this from a few angles, but for today, has this happened to you? Has a story broken that you just talked about with a friend, co-worker, or acquaintance, and now it’s like it’s a new thing and what you said before didn’t matter? Rant in the comments!

James November 8, 2010 at 9:58 pm

There are cases where I get what you’re talking about, but this recent one isn’t too bad. It’s better to listen to the New York Times than to listen to some guy, even if that guy is me.

Kari November 9, 2010 at 10:17 am

This happens to me with my in-laws all. the. time! We’ll say or do something and get a look like we are crazy but as soon as the people on t.v. say it my in-laws believe them and act as if we never even brought it up. Annoying! I do agree though that once it finally comes out in a reputable paper like the Times I feel a sigh of relief that at last people might not think I’m nuts but it’s frustrating that people have to rely on media to come to a decision for themselves instead of doing their own research. okay, my rant, over.

Lauren November 9, 2010 at 7:29 pm

What bugs me more is when there is a heart warming tale about an animal that we can learn from. Animals who are our friends, and that have hearts of gold.

I just read on a blog about my dog went and played with a dog who’s doggy sibling just died.

Everyone thinks it is wonderful, dogs care about other dogs and about humans, they do wonderful nice things, the audience is all in tears.

BUT. Those people still eat meat. they eat products from animals that are just as smart and loving as dogs, have their own personalities, but most people can’t seem to make the connection. Drives me mad!

Meridith November 10, 2010 at 7:20 am

I definitely feel your frustration but I don’t assume many of my omni friends will pick up a book by Neal Barnard, T. Colin Campbell, John McDougall, or anyone who has written extensively on this topic. To many people, these individuals are outside of the mainstream. So yeah, the article just confirmed things I have read about previously, but I still posted it on facebook (where most of my friends are omni) because it is a well-researched story from a well-known source. And people who would have little interest in the explicitly vegan items I post have responded. It’s not the only way to engage people in discussing these issues, but it can be a springboard to further discussion.

Lauren November 10, 2010 at 10:22 am

update on my frustration. I posted a link to vegan start-up kits since we can now see animals have empathy. It was taken down.

Erin November 13, 2010 at 11:56 am

My husband gets the NYTimes on his iPhone and read the entire story on that tiny screen while stopping every few lines to scoff or yell or read something out loud to me. I’ve been rereading The Tao of Pooh, so I’m feeling pretty laid back these days, but I couldn’t help a little evil laugh- “SUCKERS!” I mean, really, the people who buy a double layer pizza with a cheese-stuffed crust don’t need a breaking news report.

Oh wait, it gets funnier! The person I have in mind who used to (and probably still does) eat the double-layer, all-meat, cheese-stuff-crust pizza was an ex boyfriend of mine who used to say that ALL vegans were unhealthy waifs with dark circles under their eyes.

Okay, a little frustration, but I have to say just getting that person out of my life instead of trying to change him has made my life immeasurably better. I’ll talk to my mother-in-law who makes sure to have veggies and salad with every meal about the article, or my mom who has been calling meat “flesh” lately while still eating it. I don’t have much to say to the people who feel “duped” when they were eating the bread bowl filled with cheesey pasta from the pizza place. Those people lack basic reasoning skills.

Erin December 1, 2010 at 8:34 pm

2 people this week have sent me links to an article about how amazing quinoa is. Yep, that’s why we’ve been eating it at least once a week for a couple years now.