Which videos have made the biggest impact so far?

December 17, 2010

OK, it turns out this is video 71 in the series, so yes, more than 60 like I said in the video, but “more than 70” sounds so much cooler.

I make these videos for you, but also for me, and honestly, mostly for me. ย They’re things I need to prepare for as I go about my life, and I’m happy to share them, but as I pointed out in today’s video, I need to watch them as much as anyone:

So here’s what I want to do this weekend: which videos of the past 70 have made the biggest difference for you? Was there one that really clicked, or helped you right away with a problem you were trying to work out? Let me know which one it was in the comments, because I want to turn this into a top ten list of sorts, as chosen by you – not to make myself look awesome, but to figure out what’s working and help other people find the best stuff.

You don’t need to put the links, just say which video has been the biggest help and I’ll link it up later. I’m taking a bit of a risk here, so please don’t leave me hanging! ๐Ÿ™‚

Twisted Cinderella December 18, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I really liked: When veganism feels like dieting and When someone says they love animals but eat meat. That one even sparked a conversation with my Omnivore husband.

Amanda December 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm

My favorite vids you have done are the “big salad” videos, which paired with your pomegranite salad dressing have gotten me addicted to salads again. I bring a salad with me every day to work now. So, Thanks!

You have also suggested….either in articles or videos that it is a good idea to plan things with other vegans…such as going to a vegetarian restaurant. I thought this was a great idea, so I joined a meetup group, and probably offended 80% of the people at the table by comparing PETA to “terrorist fu%&holes”. So, meetups are probably not for me, as I apparently don’t have an internal filter.

Colleen December 18, 2010 at 11:00 pm

For me, the one that sticks out is the one about trying different foods until you’ve tried them all. I remember when I got my first vegan cookbook, I didn’t know what half the ingredients were. Now I only use that cookbook to make old staples and nothing in it is a challenge – awesome!

But your video on trying new foods reminded me that I’ve gotten into a bit of a rut, and have tended to make new recipes that don’t challenge my repertoire of known ingredients, even if they do challenge my current skill level. So, I haven’t tried yucca yet, but I know now what it looks like. And I got two cookbooks for Xmas (yes, I’ve already opened them – poor impulse control) that really challenge me on the unknown ingredients front – one book called Caribbean Vegan and the other called Kansha, which is devoted to veg Japanese food. I’m really excited to try these books out, and your video reminded me that there’s still plenty of room to be approaching my vegan cooking with the awe and excitement that characterized my early days as a vegan. Yay!

Erin December 19, 2010 at 12:50 am

The pressure cooker video. While I still haven’t gone out and gotten one, it was a good reminder that pressure cookers are not the ticking time-bombs they were when my mom had one.

Jinkies! December 19, 2010 at 5:51 am

The video about your experience going away to college and coming back to find out that all the information was in your home town all along really changed how I interact with non-vegans. I get much less frustrated now when people don’t understand the things that are so obvious and important to me.

nic December 20, 2010 at 8:49 am

out of all the videos there are only the following which DID NOT make a difference : , best vegan parenting advice – i am not a parent nor will be . utensil redemption, tofutukey – not available in the old world( i think ?)
all the rest are really useful ,even to those are just about to be vegan through the mistake of the old hand of vegans we the newbie can avoid , so thanks
this is a great service throughout the world , keep it coming and post old podcasts, Jason that you have stored somewhere.

Amanda December 22, 2010 at 2:25 am

Oh, one more thing I like about your videos Jason: You’re the first and only vegan guy I know (well, even if it is only online) who doesn’t look like Jesus….seems like all the vegans around Seattle are sporting the big ratty beard, long hair, and always seem to be carrying around a backpack.

Jason December 23, 2010 at 9:34 am

Thanks everyone! New post coming up this morning (I’ve been out with the flu, booooo!)

And Amanda, if you check out some of the really early videos (from Januaryish) you’ll see that I’m pretty much incapable of growing a big ratty beard, though I did sport “Jesus hair” at one point in my pre-vegan life that thankfully isn’t captured in video ๐Ÿ™‚