Deflecting vegan criticism with the bearhino technique

December 6, 2010

I’m so pissed that I could have learned the bearhino technique, like, 5 years ago if someone had taken the trouble to type properly!

I kid, I kid, but even when people think they’re kidding, criticism about your veganism can be hard to handle, even under the guise of your friends poking fun at you. This technique can really work – like I said in the video, I learned it as a general mindset conditioning thing, but it works even better for vegan criticism.

Twisted Cinderella December 7, 2010 at 6:55 am

that really is a good idea. I like the mindset.

The other day, I pointed out to Prince Charming that there are plant eaters in nature like cows and elephants that don’t seem to be suffering in any way from nutritional issues.

Kari December 7, 2010 at 7:27 am

Great! I love the concept.

Jay December 7, 2010 at 7:35 am

That’s a great way to do it. Usually when my friends criticized me for being a vegan, I would insult them the same way back, which isn’t a good idea in the least.

Cindy December 7, 2010 at 9:34 am

OK …this “bearhino” was one of the best things I’ve heard. I’m 63 years old. In February, 2011, I’ll have been a vegan for 2 years. In the scope of things – that’s an infant!!! I went from a “steak-loving” Texan to a complete vegan in one fell-swoop – to my family and friends’ utter disdain!! Like everybody else, I flinch at criticism – and frankly sick to death of explaining myself …as if somehow I’m making excuses for my “bad behavior!!!” This is a great tool!! Not only for vegans, but for many situations where taking a different path is met with resistance. Thank you Jason, for sharing this!!

Jen December 7, 2010 at 9:59 am

“bearhino”, excellent! I will have to show the Mr. this video. Thanks!

Lynne December 7, 2010 at 10:08 am

Thanks so much! Particularly at this time of year our carnivore friends like to give us grief about being vegan.

Colleen December 7, 2010 at 11:38 am

Cindy: You totally rock!

This will likely be more effective in the long run than my current spirit animals of “enraged elephant” and “aloof giraffe”, which I alternate between with no particular logic. I’m not really kidding.

Epicurean Vegan December 9, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I love this idea of being a rhino! I always feel as though I have to defend my hoice to not consume animal products–I hate that. One of the questions I get asked a lot is, “How do you get your protein?” My favorite answer (from another vegan blogger) is, “from eating people who ask me that.” Love it.