Making vegan pizza more amazing

November 16, 2010

Today’s top actually comes from Molly, who signed up for the newsletter but instead of telling me what the best tip I could give her would be, she told me her best tip, and here it is:

Oh, and the pizza I referred to was from A Vegan Affair Event Catering, whose site is not easily linkable but if you go to the gallery you’ll see the mini-pizzas.  No money changing hands here, just a plug for someone who gave me some samples, is all.

How do you make your vegan pizza sing?  I gave my add-on tips in the video, now share yours in the comments!

Amanda November 17, 2010 at 1:14 am

My vegan pizza consists of homemade thin crust which I mix with garlic powder, then I smother the top with marinara, daiya cheese, a ton of artichoke hearts, chopped black and green olives, chopped onion, red peppers, and sliced tomato….it’s like an orgy in my mouth.

Jason November 17, 2010 at 7:32 am

Garlic powder IN the crust? Why haven’t I thought of that before? That sounds like pure genius, thanks!

Lisa November 17, 2010 at 7:35 am

I like to make my vegan pizza with a layer of caramelized sweet onions, a sprinkling of sage — fresh chopped or powdered — and some chopped walnuts on top (they toast while it bakes). Yum! :-P

Matt November 17, 2010 at 8:23 am

Bear with me—homemade whole wheat crust, hummus, mandolin sliced red onion and potato. Guaranteed to keep adults and kids coming back. Please excuse the “vegans put hummus on everything” stereotype, but it is accurate and awesome.

For variety, #2 is an Ani Raw Pistachio Pesto base and whatever veg you have.

Colleen November 17, 2010 at 8:43 am

Parsley pesto for the base; smoked tofu, sun-dried tomatoes, sweet peppers, good black olives, and thinly sliced mushrooms on top; dough made from beer (avoiding the active yeast waiting time); pumpkin seeds embedded in crust edge; and, not negotiable at all, truffle oil lightly drizzled on top.

Jason November 17, 2010 at 10:37 am

Lisa – I’ve never thought of nuts on a pizza before, that sounds awesome!

Matt – thanks for mentioning the mandolin – super essential for really piling on the veggies!

Colleen – you don’t need to make excuses for the beer dough :)

Jen November 17, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Homemade whole wheat crust, thin layer of marinara, seitanic pepperoni, spinach, mushrooms, olives, and onion. Hmm, I think I know what is for dinner tonight!

Erin November 17, 2010 at 6:47 pm

We eat pizza about once a week! It’s a problem here. Last night was this week’s pizza night. I always make my own crust, then I topped with a very thin layer of BBQ sauce (the same that I had baked thin slices of tempeh in earlier in the day), then topped with Follow Your Heart Mozzerella, peppers, pineapple, and my BBQ tempeh. After I pulled it out of the oven I added fresh chopped avocado and cilantro. mmm.

A couple weeks ago I made my own naan and topped it with roasted eggplant mixed with cardamom mango jam and then topped with FYH mozzerella and fresh cilantro after I baked it.

Last week I used homemade pesto, sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, and spinach.

Jason November 17, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Erin, you’re not going to get away with mentioning homemade naan without sharing the recipe!

Wendy H. December 6, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I recently blogged about vegan pizza myself, check it out: http://kirksvillevegan.blogspot.com/

We normally throw lotsa Daiya on our pizza with various veggies like onions, olives, fresh minced garlic, mushrooms, pesto, herbs, etc. Tempeh is DELICIOUS on pizza- steam it for about 15 mins, add some olive oil and spices and brown the tempeh. It’s like a yummy sausage type goodness.

Also, I highly recommend Tofu Ricotta from Vegan with a Vengeance as a cheese alternative on your pizza.

joann October 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Your cooking vides kill me…..how about preping and get the session going. We are busy people and don’t have alot of time to watch you cut, slice, drain…get my drift.

joann October 28, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Your cooking videos kill me…..how about prepping and get the session going. We are busy people and don’t have alot of time to watch you cut, slice, drain…get my drift.

matias January 14, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Vegan cheese for pizza!
Here’s the receipe. You will need:

- 4 spoons of beer yeast
- 2 spoons of wheat
- A little bit of soy-milk
- Salt

Mix the beer yeast, the wheat and salt. Add some soy-milk while removing until it gets slurry. Just top your pizza whith the final paste and everything else you wanna add, and put into the oven until the vegan cheese gets goldenly toasted. Enjoy!

dave May 29, 2012 at 2:26 pm

ok vegan pizza, i start off with a thin homemade yeast crust with olive oil and salt. a tomato sauce with all the nice green italian spices like thime, oregano, basil, marjoram, rosemary and nutmeg. some garlic salt and pepper and sugar for the tomato to jump out. aggplant, onion, bell pepper, olive, artichoke hard, tomato, mushroom and courgette are my veggies all thinly sliced.now if i want some cheasy thing on top i make a creamchease of tofu, breawers yeast, salt, olive oil, citrus and some italian spices. finish it off with a drissle of ollive oil and salt.

Bobby Sall April 16, 2013 at 4:24 pm

True foodies (vegan or not) will tell you the most important part of pizza is…THE CRUST! Good pizza crusts will not require any wacky topping (although these can be fun). The best crust I have ever had was made with brown rice flour, millet, and ground flaxseed. This crust had the best ratio of outer crisp, to inner moist that I have ever experienced! Cook the crust solo with some olive oil, garlic, and herbs first. Remove crust and top with hummus, tahini, kalamata olives, figs, and nutritional yeast.