Hypothetical conversations with non-vegans

October 4, 2010

The more I think about this as I edit the video, the more irritated I’m getting, but if I reshot this one I’d just end up ranting. Oh, and I’m wearing something with colour. Don’t be alarmed:

What’s your take?  Is there value in these discussions?  If not, how do you get out of them?  Because these are actual things that happen to all of us, not bizarre hypotheticals like if you were talking about an obscure possibility of eating meat with your friend… ON THE MOON.  (Maybe I’ll just say I only have these discussions on the moon, which is almost equally likely as the absurdity that’s been brought up. And no, I’m not chipping in for gas.)

Mirkat October 5, 2010 at 10:28 am

Fortunately, it’s been many years since anyone has tried to unleash the old “hypothetical situation” on me. But I’ve given this some thought for when it does happen. I think what I’ll do is ask “what do you hope to accomplish by asking me this?” That could lead either to a productive conversation or shut down the whole thing before it has a chance to become annoying. People who ask these questions, I think, hope that they’ll expose some unacknowledged hypocrisy in the person being question. As if we’ll say, “Oh, my goodness! You’ve discovered the ONE situation in which I’d consume animals or animal products! I’m a big old hyprocrite! I might as well become an omnivore like YOU!” On the flip side, if WE can come up with a hypothetical situation where they’d maybe have to live on an island that is replete with vegan food but with no meat or animal products, would THEY eat those vegan foods to survive or just let themselves die? Ooh, they’d eat the vegan foods! Well, they might as well become vegans right NOW! 😉

Erin October 5, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I try to stay positive.
Living in Alaska, I find that a lot of people ask me about wild fish. People want to go through and ask “why?” for each item. With that, and with the hypotheticals, I find that a positive attitude goes a long way (again, I use a hypnobirthing principle). I say, “That’s not really something I want to spend my time thinking about. I don’t want to focus my energy on a situation where a baby or bunny would die. Why would you want to think about that?” I mean really, how does someone explain wanting to discuss dead babies or bunnies? Those who are respectful will back off, and those who aren’t will be put off by the hippy dippy, “no negativity, man” response. Kill two birds with one stone- who wants to think about killing birds with stones?!

When I’m pushed, which isn’t often, to think about a moon life or jungle adventure gone bad, I usually say, “Well for me to be in that situation in the first place, I’d be in such a different mind set that I can’t really imagine how I would react in a specific scenario.”

Patabugen October 5, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I love your thoughts Jason, as well as those of Mirkat and Erin!

I think next time, I’m definitly going to try Mirkats ‘Stuck on an island abundant with vegetables” or Erin’s “Why are you thinking up situations like that!” depending on the person!

Thoughts like those make me almost want it to come up!

Haley October 5, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Swear. I swear.

Yup, not helpful but it makes me feel better.

James October 5, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I haven’t had this much in real life, but I would probably just give a “real” answer. Would I turn to cannibalism in the mountains. Yes, I would.

Helen August 23, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I would say, “Well, fortunately I have never been put into a situation like that where I have to choose or jeopardize my vegan values. If that ever happens, then I will make a decision. But in my day to day life, it is too easy to be vegan and I love it, so I will be vegan for as long as possible.” and then change the subject.