Dealing with non-vegan cravings, part three of two!

October 7, 2010

I know, I said it was a two-parter (one and two if you missed them,) but then a comment made me realize I’d overlooked something. This time though, instead of how to deal with a craving, I’d rather talk about the amazing world we live in:

So: what’s your favourite vegan junk food? Is there something still missing from the vegan pantry that you miss from the old days? How awesome do you think things are going to be in another 10 years? Let us know in the comments!

(Oh, and here’s that candy bar link I promised you. ┬áMmmmm, candy…)

Erin October 8, 2010 at 12:28 am

I just ate about a quarter of a bag of Dandies and I have no shame. They are my new favorite thing ever!

Kathleen in St. Louis October 8, 2010 at 8:41 am

So happy to have found this site for support. I’ve been vegan for two weeks now and am still feeling my way through the dark – actually light right? Mostly all good, but there are moments when I mourn the old me. Support is going to be the key to my success. My big challenge today is packing for a 4 day camping trip next week for me and my omni husband. Already I look like the big pain in the butt who has to have “special” stuff. Thanks for this blog and hello to everyone out there in vegan land!

Jason October 8, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Erin: you ALMOST got me! I very nearly Googled what Dandies where, and then I had a VISION of the FUTURE and it involved me eating a lot of whatever they are. Nice try, but better luck next time!

Kathleen: I have friends who are into camping and it’s the ONLY time they eat vegan – vegan camping food is generally lighter, safer, and packs easier, according to them, so instead of having “special” stuff, you might end up discovering some new awesome things for them!

Erin October 8, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Okay, go ahead and just drool now. I have ‘Smores Brownie Bars in the oven with Dandies and Health Valley Amaranth Graham Crackers. I can’t wait for the timer! Of course I can’t eat any until tomorrow at my cookie swap.

Colleen October 8, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Hmmm, favourite vegan product on the market right now? It doesn’t melt, but the smoked cheddar Sheese is the shiznit, I tell you, the SHIZNIT. It is SO STUPIDLY DELICIOUS just put in slices on top of toast or baguette that’s been spread with Earth Balance.

Oooooh! Tie for fav! Wildwood soy creamer for coffee rocks me like a hurricane.

As for what’s missing: vegan French vanilla ice cream. Vegan ice cream has come a long way in the last few years – using coconut as a base, instead of soy or hemp or whatever, is the obvious genius thing I’m sad no one thought of before. But the vanilla, man…it’s not good enough yet. I’ll wait till it is, because some things – I’d rather not have them at all than have an inadequate vegan version of them.

FINALLY – welcome, Kathleen! Ask questions like crazy – it’ll get awesomer and awesomererer every day.

Erin October 9, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Ahhhh! So wonderful! I hosted a vegan cookie swap today and now I have all kinds of new favorite vegan junk food. I highly recommend that everyone host one of these.

This is just what was left over:

Barbi October 10, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Hmmm, this is a tough one, but I would say three my favourite processed vegan junk foods are:

chewy chips ahoy!!!
fudgeeos
sour patch kids (those subway ads are killing me…)

Although this isn’t a junk food in terms of being candy or chocolate, what is missing in my vegan pantry is a vegan version of FRIED EGGS! I still for the life of me can’t figure out why, with like you said, pretty much every non-vegan food imaginable having become available in a faux product, is there not yet a vegan fried egg out there?

Laura P. October 18, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Dandies are amazingly addicting. I bought them to use in a recipe and ended up eating half the bag before I used them in my recipe. I have to force myself not to buy them too often because they disappear so quickly (not the healthiest thing ever). My non-vegan friends like them better than regular marshmallows!