Are you tired of defending your veganism?

October 26, 2010

So it’s outreach week, and like I said yesterday, just being vegan around other people can be a form of outreach. Unfortunately, that includes when you’re sick, run down, or just tired, and you can end up spending more time defending yourself and your diet than actually getting better! I don’t think there’s anyone watching this who hasn’t been “called out” for their diet just because they’ve got a cold. Here are a few new ways to think about that and stop being on the defensive:

What about you? How did you handle someone telling you you’re sick because you’re vegan, even though they apparently can get sick whenever they want and that’s somehow OK? Share your stories (or your frustrations!) in the comments!

Wil October 26, 2010 at 9:34 pm

First off, thanks for the new way to look at an often annoying situation.

When people poke at me I usually just tell them that no diet makes someone immune to the flu, colds, or whatever. If it’s someone who I see regularly, I ask them the last time they remember me getting sick (I don’t get sick often). That quiets most people down.

Joshua Matthews October 26, 2010 at 11:40 pm

The only ‘illness’ I’ve had since becoming vegan is a hangover. I used to drink 4 pints (not a lot for some but enough for me) and I’d feel a bit ‘yuk’ the next day. I’ve given it up now so that should no longer be a problem.

Thanks, Jason, for the positive way of looking at things.

Erin October 27, 2010 at 1:25 am

I almost never get sick, but I happen to be sick right now (I can’t help but feel this is your fault for posting this). I’m going to have to pull out of some commitments this week, so I will be interested to see if this happens to me and I’ll definitely take that advice to heart.

Jason October 27, 2010 at 9:04 am

Joshua, thanks for mirroring the comment from YouTube (I read those too!) – it’s funny, for me, being a vegan drinker has helped to put carnists at ease, like at least we have one thing in common or something… Of course now I can blame the baby for everything if I seem a little off, but I honestly believe my veganism has made a lot of the hours I keep possible – too bad nobody notices when you’re doing amazing despite the odds!

Heddy October 27, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for this Jason! I do get razzed quite a bit, but I find that when these people have questions about health it’s me they come to. I was also sick a little while ago and it was brought up that I must have ‘cheated’ on my eating. Like Wil said…nothing makes us immune to illness…but it definitely has helped me with it! I have only been sick once this year as opposed to once a season before I was vegan.

Erin October 28, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Seriously, how can my vegan baby and I still be sick? We’re vegan! We eat vegetables and fruit…

vanesa November 1, 2010 at 3:23 am

Hi, Jason ! thanks 4 your web it’s been fun andso practic to find it!
I would like to add that although i liked your aproach, i guess the fallen angel theory also applies to how we realte and see meat eaters as well .. so!
The difference lies in the “reality ” of the facts :
So when i see a friend that’s ill, i also usually think of their bad diet and lay the guilt on milk and meat, and how toxic their bodies are cause f that…
So i guess we all do it, to reafirm or reassure our own beliefs no mattter if this is veganism, religion or politics….
I have found easy to leave the room, play deaf or mute every time a stupid veganism defense issue arrises with other people, unless i really see a true interest in knowing about it…
I hope im easy to understand, english is not my mother-finger or tongue!!
thankssss!
( if you need help making the web in spanich im eager to elp, this would be of help to america as well)

Jason November 1, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Thanks Vanesa! I have to admit, I usually don’t think of diet when a meat-eating colleague gets sick (with colds and flus anyway) but that’s mostly because I just accept that people get sick from time to time… I wonder if I’ll think differently next time now that you’ve suggested it :)