Where do you get your vegan nutrition information?

September 23, 2010

A quick followup from Tuesday’s post, not about vitamin D but about another subtle concept (that I’m about to make non-subtle.) ┬áTake 3 minutes to find out that there are two many JAGs on the internets, and let me know in the comments where you get your vegan nutrition information!

I’ll talk more about this next week, but there are a couple of factors, internal and external, that are leading us to some bad advice, and it’s hurting veganism. Learn what a JAG is so you’ll be on board for next week’s ideas.

Conrad September 23, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Michael Greger, MD
Joel Fuhrman, M.D
Dr. T. Colin Campbell
Neal Barnard MD

to name a few of the popular ones. Im sure there are more, but cant think of them right now.

Molly H. September 24, 2010 at 12:30 am

Conrad’s choices are good, as are:
Jack Norris, RD of Vegan Outreach
Ginny Messina (sometimes)
Caldwell Esselstyn
World’s Healthiest Foods

James September 24, 2010 at 7:50 am

Joel Fuhrman, if you look at his website or you hear his salesmanlike presentations, seems very quackish, but as far as I can tell he’s never said anything out of line. Not that I would know for sure. (He has spoken out against bad science, such as some of raw foodists’ claims, which counts for a lot of points in my book.)

The other guys of that ilk – Novick, Esselstyn, McDougall, Barnard – all are pretty reasonable, too.

However, if you’re looking for specific vegan information, if you’re more worried about long-term B12 recommendations than about weight loss strategies, for example, then Jack Norris is your man. His mantra might as well be the same as this website, “staying vegan,” and the way he goes about it is by being honest, admitting when he’s wrong, and changing his recommendations when new evidence appears.

Messina and Greger do the same thing, and do it well. I’d never heard f Davis before your post, but if she’s similar, then awesome.

Jason September 24, 2010 at 10:06 am

Nice to see Joel Fuhrman getting mentioned here – he really changed my views on a lot of things this summer (which I’ll talk about later, but the “good for you/bad for you” post came into my head while reading one of his books) but he wasn’t even on my radar earlier this year.

Has anyone watched any of Dr. Greger’s “The Latest in Clinical Nutrition” DVDs? I keep meaning to check them out.

James September 24, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Never watched a Greger DVD, but I’ve sat through some of his longer talks on YouTube. Good guy, with good info, and bad jokes.

Molly H. September 24, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Me again. I agree with all the subsequent posters. You guys are all super-smart, and obviously really perceptive!

On the JAG topic, this is very true, BUT there are “doctors” out there who are not trustworthy, as well. Mercola and the Weston A. Price Foundation are prime examples. How can we, as active vegans who give a damn, speak out against these hucksters and convince the easily-swayed masses that schlock-docs like Mercola are not worth the paper their “degrees” are printed on?

Conrad September 25, 2010 at 1:12 am

@ Molly H.
I agree. I wish that there was an article, or book written up about a few topics: 1)The Issues with the Weston A. Price Foundation 2)Mercola 3)Temple Grandin
These are issues i get confronted often and would like to have something educated to say (ie quote from someone with degrees cause im just another JAG).
Let me know if you ever find anything.

James September 26, 2010 at 11:19 am

Molly and Conrad,

There’s no rule that says we have to prove that a vegan diet is better in every nutritional aspect. It might not be. All we have to do is show that you can be healthy and happy on a vegan diet.

Jason September 27, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Molly, it’s weird but sometimes I subscribe to quacks. There’s often a kernel of truth in what they’re saying, as long as I can stop being mad while I read it, but it’s not something I can really tell other people to pay attention to, so consider this a “private tip” and use it very sparingly!

The “make money in the health industry without actually seeing patients” market has a formula like anything else, and it involves gimmicks and giving advice that’s different than what anyone else is giving. A lot of the time this advice is crap or patently wrong, and then there are the secondary motivations like funding sources etc to watch out for, but used correctly, some of these guys can do a lot of the initial research for me by finding the weird stuff. The catch is that it’s up to me to do the followup research and decide if it’s something I want to pursue and/or tell others about.