Is eating vegan more expensive than a ‘normal’ diet?

April 26, 2010

money manWhen I’m talking to meat eaters about veganism, either in an actual outreach scenario like tabling at an event, or in simple conversation with someone through work or a party or whatever, I often hear this:

“Yeah, I thought about trying that, but it’s way too expensive.”

This isn’t just a meat-eating misconception either: if you’re a vegan who thinks that you’re spending too much on food, you’re a vegan who’s at risk of saying “screw it, I can’t afford to be this awesome.” Sure, dried beans and rice are super cheap, but I don’t know very many people who purposely try to eat as cheaply as possible, so I thought it’d be a good idea to go over the three main areas where people in general think a vegan diet costs more than a “normal” North American diet.

Like I said, there are three main areas where people get this idea of the cost of veganism, and these are based on discussions I’ve had over the past 15 years or so. You might have had different discussions, so if you have other ideas, please share them in the comments!

Mock meats

This is a little messed up when you get into it: I haven’t done the math, but I’m going to put forth that there are a massive number of items in the average grocery store that are vegan. I’ll even submit that maybe 80% of them are vegetarian (I’m guessing there are more dairy-containing products than meaty ones, actually.)

And yet, most grocery stores I go to have a section where most of the mock meats tend to gather, and that section might even be labeled “vegetarian,” so lo and behold, that’s clearly what vegans and vegetarians eat. If you want to go vegan, therefore, you “have to” eat a ton of packaged, processed, expensive food – veggie burgers, veggie dogs, mock chicken, fake cheese, and so on.

Before I go further, let’s just point out the obvious – you don’t have to eat any mock meats, and while most people I know at a fair bit out of convenience, it’s really best to think of these as transition foods to make going vegan easier, as well as events like barbecues and picnics in a mixed meat and veg diet setting.

But anyway, I did a bit of research, and it turns out that in Canada, anyway, packaged vegan products are often cheaper than their meat equivalents. If you’re in another country, I’d love to hear your results (please actually check, don’t just assume,) but here, a box of frozen chicken breasts is a buck or two more expensive than the Gardein-based version, and the same goes for chicken nuggets. Even sandwich fillers (cold cuts and their alternatives) seemed to be about even.

Where meat tends to be cheaper is in the hot dog and burger department, and let’s face it – it’s hard to compete with what’s essentially a waste product like the typical hot dog.

When it comes to mock meats, here’s the deal: a lot of them are cheaper, we don’t have to eat them to keep our “membership card,” and despite the ruts we find ourselves in sometimes, they probably shouldn’t form the majority of any balanced diet anyway.

Fast food

Another easy way to believe veganism is more expensive is at the fast food counter. I don’t know what it’s like in your neighbourhood, but I can’t walk more than a block or two without seeing a billboard for some ridiculously cheap beef or chicken product from McDonalds or some other fast food chain.

Even if these chains offer vegan options, like a veggie burger or a salad, odds are that they’re not going to be the cheapest item on the menu.

You know what? I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. Maybe the film Supersize Me really struck a chord with me, but eating fast food on a regular basis is putting price, convenience, and yes, flavour ahead of good nutritional sense. That might sound like a no-brainer in favour of fast food the way I’ve written it, but in the bigger picture sense, that’s like saying you can get a lot more done and have more fun if you never, ever sleep. Your body really can’t handle that kind of treatment in the long term.

It really sucks that really cheap fast food is almost an economic necessity in some people’s lives, and there’ve been studies linking poverty to obesity for just this reason (here’s one about energy density: junk food has more calories per dollar than whole food, among other issues.) It sucks even more that a vegan diet that meets all your nutrition requirements might cost more than a fast food diet that can cause a ton of health problems, and what sucks most of all is living in a society that’s more willing to think of the fast food diet as normal and an equivalently-priced vegan diet that might be deficient in some nutrients as the irresponsible one.

(And before you get all mad at me, I’m sure it’s possible to manage a fully adequate vegan diet for the same price as cheap fast food, and I’m not trying to put all low income people in the same bucket, but if you’re in a situation where you feel fast/junk food is your only option, there are most likely other things that’ll need to be overcome (both in your mind and in your physical reality) before you can plan an adequate vegan diet on a budget.)

So yes, I’ll concede that meat-based fast food is probably cheaper than vegan fast food, but here’s my answer to that: stop eating so much fast food, and hey, if we’re talking restaurants, let’s compare checks at a sit-down establishment, where I have to drink an awful lot of (vegan friendly) booze to match the price of a meat-based meal, especially at the fancy-pants places.

Organic produce

The last area where veganism can be seen as expensive is the idea that vegans eat nothing but organic produce. This isn’t too far out there. For starters, meat eaters thinking about veganism are going to have to buy more fruits and vegetables than they might be used to – the meat in the middle of many plates doesn’t leave room for much else. “Organic” just happens to be mixed into “healthy” which gets associated with “vegan” in a lot of mental word association games.

But really, “you have to buy more vegetables” or even organic vegetables isn’t a “going vegan” expense; it’s a simple price of healthy eating. I’m sure there are vegans out there who eat mostly grains with very little green on their plate.

And kudos to those who do, but we don’t eat exclusively organic in our home. We’ll pick out the bargains, but prices vary on any given week, and if the price difference is significant for something like celery or broccoli, we’ll go for the conventionally grown version. For us, I’m happy that there are more options available than there used to be, and that I often can find organic stuff for even cheaper than the regular items, but I don’t stress too much over it.

Your own decision process might vary, but my response to this line of attack on the cost of food is along the lines of “well, that’s just part of a healthy diet even if you eat meat.” I think we’ve got enough to talk about without getting into debates that aren’t central to the main issues.

It’s 90% perception

If I was to eat nothing but filet mignon and lobster, a meat-based diet would be really expensive, and I think a lot of the cost arguments around veganism fall into the same group. If you go into anything with assumptions about what you “have” to eat, you’re going to be limited in how you can end up.

I’m confident that a vegan diet is possible on a wide range of budgets, just like a meat-based one. Hopefully I’ve addressed the big items that come up when this idea is challenged, but if you have any other ideas that you’ve either wondered about or encountered in discussion, let’s talk in the comments!

Sabrina Khan April 26, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I actually find being a vegan is way easier on my wallet than being an omnivore ever was. I can get by with 30-40 dollars of groceries a week. Back in the omni days 30 bucks was what I spent on meat alone.

tomb7890 April 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm

The street-meat vendor on my corner offers, among beef, sausage, and chicken options, a veggie dog. At $2.00, it is the second cheapest
option. At Burger King around the corner, the Orig Chicken Sandwich, Fish sandwich and Whopper are all equal or more expensive than the BK Veggie. At South St Burger Co on Yonge St, the beef and chicken burgers are equal or more expensive than their veggie burger. And at Gourmet Burger Co, also on Yonge st, the veggie burger is cheaper than their lamb, chicken, and beef burgers.

FRESHII was recently profiled in the Toronto Star as a place for
vegeterian fast food. They have a variety of wraps: Buffalo Chicken;
Turkey Club; Tuna, Chicken Club, and The Vegan. The least expensive one? The Vegan. ($6.95)

Is veganism really more expensive? I think the contention is so vague to be dubious. Yet it proliferates–I believe, for two very important reasons. One is that it serves the self-interest of the majority eating their meaty S.A.D. diet, many of whom like to to rationalize doing what is comfortable and familiar. The other is the great asymmetry in the population numbers. We vegans are outnumbered by a large factor. Hence an ordinary person will hear the assertion made, but probably no strong challenge or rebuttal. Those especially of modest intellectual powers will be convinced by little or no evidence, and repeat it. (“I hear that veganism is expensive…”)

Philosophers going back to Socrates have been pointing out that people tend to hold their various beliefs not because they’ve been shown to withstand rigorous scrutiny. People hold beliefs because they are useful or popular or traditional. My hunch is that
veganism-is-expensive is an idea that is more useful than true.

Eddie D. April 26, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I wonder what (if any) relationship there is between the expense of veganism and location. Living in Portland, vegan restaurant options, tofu hot dogs, and so forth, are generally as expensive, or cheaper, than the omnivore stuff. Of course, there’s also enough of us here to make it economically viable for affordable vegan choices to exist in the first place. In a smaller town, or a city with a smaller vegan population, vegan food might be costier simply because there’s not much demand for it. Since most of my travel tends to be to other cities (and since when I’m traveling I’m less apt to look at prices anyway), I’ve honestly never noticed. And of course, there may be no connection whatsoever. I’ll have to keep my eyes open next time I go out of town.

Erin April 26, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Mock Meat
I was put off by the high prices and ridiculous amount of preservatives in my mock meats, so I have been making my own. For less than $10 I got enough Vital Wheat Gluten and TVP to make up the bulk of my mock meat for probably at least 4 months (family of 2 adults and a baby). Granted, I eat a lot of legumes and grains and don’t have mock meat with every meal or every day. The point is, making it myself I can have “meat” with my meal for easily less than $1 per serving including the spices and oil added. Since I quit my job teaching and started staying home and cooking our food mostly from scratch, we are saving more money than we did with my added income! Cutting convenience foods and eating out from your diet are the best ways to save money with any diet, but veganism relies on many protein sources that don’t spoil (legumes, grains, TVP, etc that can be bought in bulk), so you are able to save much more this way. Add locally grown produce and frozen veggies and fruits from the peak growing seasons and you can’t help but save money.

I know my way of life isn’t for everyone, but little steps like making your own mock meat instead of buying something prepackaged (consider the environmental cost of all that plastic) can save you so much.

Steph H April 26, 2010 at 11:10 pm

1. This is a great article, the best one you’ve written in this series, in my opinion – it doesn’t re-tread coversations I always seem to be having (though the info IS useful if you’ve never heard it before), but is more like the conversations I wish people would let me have with them.

2. I find the biggest expense for our family is that it’s mixed. Once my omni partner decided that some of the veg alternatives were satisfactory, I wasn’t buying Gardein and regular chicken too. He’s been known to eat his way through my hot dog chili without noticing and leave only the nonvegan stuff behind ebcause he couldn’t tell the difference. So much cheaper now.

Molly April 27, 2010 at 12:42 am

When I went vegan, I also went healthy, and am trying to eat as processed-free as possible. I still eat some mock meats, and some tofu, and a packaged grains (because I’m sure as heck not baking my own breakfast cereal). So, for me, being vegan is *extremely* expensive. My groceries are expensive because:
1.) Higher quality – a package of 8 “Bar S” brand hot dogs is $1-2, I think. A package of 4 MorningStar Grillers Chicken patties is minimum $3.99.
2.) More nutrients – I try to buy organic when I can, but usually I can’t afford it. But I at least get organic carrots, celery,
3.) They don’t go very far – a bunch of Organic Kale is $1.99 in Fort Worth, Texas, and when cooked, is only one serving.
4.) I have to eat more quantity of food. Since vegan foods are naturally lower in calories, I have to consume a larger quantity of food than when I was an omnivore. Consequently, higher grocery bills.
This is a timely topic, Jason, because my grocery bills are killing me lately. I’m trying desperately to find a way to lower them without resorting to eating less healthfully. Any suggestions from the audience would be appreciated. (I pretty much follow the PCRM/Furhman diet style… lots of fresh raw veggies, lots of beans, plus whole grains and fruits, low fat, no sugar, and as processed-free as I can afford). Thanks for letting me ramble.

Erin April 27, 2010 at 1:28 am

Molly, I don’t know if this is the case where you live, but we were able to save a lot on fresh produce by signing up for our local CSA. For us, in our area, it’s cheaper than buying organic produce in the store. I think conventional veggies would be cheaper, but it’s just not worth it for us.

Another way to stretch out the way one bunch of kale is one serving is to make stir fries and pilafs with many different veggies. You can use a combination of cheaper veggies, frozen veggies, and fresh kale. That way, you get that good flavor in multiple meals.

tomb7890 April 27, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I did some more research along Yonge St this afternoon. It seems to me the vegan choices are almost universally the least expensive ones.

“What A Bagel” will make you a bagel sandwich, from a menu of
familiar choices. Among them are: Chicken Breast: $6.99. Turkey:
$4.99. Egg Salad: $3.99. Hummus: $3.49.

At “Madanto Pizza” you are greeted just inside the door by a large
display case with about fifteen different slices. All are very
similarly priced, but none of them is cheaper than “The Vegan.”
($3.04).

At “Carribean Bistro”, your roti can be made with Beef, Chicken, Duck,
Goat(!), Shrimp, Vegetables (w/potato), Channa (curried chickpeas), or Curried Potato. Thee last three choices are the lowest priced, and, as far as I can tell, vegan.

At “Sorn Thai”, there is nothing on the menu (aside from appetizers and plain jasmine rice) that is priced lower than “Spicy Tofu” ($7.95).

Jason April 28, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Sorry for the radio silence folks, I was doing my taxes! So many great ideas and thoughts in these comments, thanks so much and I hope to expand on some of these ideas Real Soon!

(And Erin, CSAs rock! We get a box of stuff for $12, but it’s closed for the summer (I know that sounds weird, but it’s tied to a school for distribution) so I don’t know what we’re going to do – I love the variety for pretty much free!)

Molly April 29, 2010 at 12:19 am

Wow, you guys are LUCKY! The CSAs here average $35 to $40 per week, and that’s more than I can afford. :( I wish Texas were better for vegetables! But thank you, Erin, for the ideas!

Audri September 20, 2010 at 10:47 pm

.I live in Dallas, TX and I’m extremely low income. I eat for about $200/mo and thats food stamps. I can’t afford fresh veggies at this price, but I get fresh fruit in 5lb bags and bananas. (My veggies I get frozen.) I can’t afford faux meats. In north tx, faux meats can easily be 2-3x’s the price of real meat. I do buy soymilk & fzn orange juice w/ calcium to avoid a calcium deficiency. Breakfast foods for me include cereal (hot & cold) granola bars, & bagels w/ margarine. I buy a lot of dried beans & brown rice along with bags of potatoes. You can make several different meals with veggies, rice, beans, potatoes & seasonings. (including chili :D ) I also get popcorn, cnd soups, whole wheat pasta w/ spaghetti sauce, lots of bx rice meals (zataran’s uncle ben’s,etc), & pb&j’s among other stuff. My diet may get boring for people who are’nt used to being creative with developing recipes, but its very cheap. For me, affording Vegan food is not difficult. My problem has been affording the personal & household products not tested on animals. While its not too hard to find vegan shampoo & laundry soap priced like the average brand names, I’ve always bought the cheapest of the cheap & am now trying to pay at least double. Thank god I found out V05 doesn’t test on animals

John October 15, 2010 at 9:07 am

If you are broke all you need to do is learn to cook. Fresh produce is generally cheaper than meat and packaged food with rice/grains/legumes etc probably being the least inexpensive it also helps to shop at ethnic stores as generally they will charge less for produce and faux meat products are actually dirt cheap there.

Jason October 15, 2010 at 10:38 am

Thanks John! Oh, and here’s some trivia about local produce markets, at least in downtown Toronto – the reason they’re so much cheaper than big grocery stores is because they go to the food terminal to pick up the day’s stock themselves, which saves a bunch of cash.

mahi January 1, 2011 at 4:52 pm

In New Zealand we have a lot of eastern style fast food places that sell kebabs or souvalakis , nothing like the horrible things they sell in the UK. hummus ,tabbouleh, green salad,tomatoes and a few other options wrapped in pita bread with choice of lamb, chicken or falafal.
All the same price and delicious.Even before i became a vegetarian (contemplating veganism at the moment thats why i read this article) I generally always went for the falafel option anyway because they are so yummy!
Im living in the UK now tho and find there is a lot more vege and vegan options here and as I was a chef for 12 yrs definately find a vego diet much cheaper and dont think turning vegan is going to up my grocery bill at all.
ps I think I might open a souvalaki shop here without the meat tho!

omonus fart May 25, 2011 at 12:17 pm

i think if everyone was vegan that there would be too many animals in the world and too much meat going bad and making it stink so dont go telling everyone to become a vegetarian

Jason May 25, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Dude, you spelled ominous wrong. Work on the fundamentals and then we can talk about your stinky feet.

Vegan Eating Out July 7, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I completely agree that eating on a budget with a vegan diet is “90% perception.” Naturally if you want to support vegan companies it is helpful to buy some of the products that sell for a bit more, but most restaurants and fast food chains have vegan options that cost about the same as anyone else would order.

Dee July 19, 2011 at 9:23 am

Having to feed 9 people can be a challenge! Overall here in CT/USA the packaged/faux meats are the same cost if you look at price per pound. However lots of stores do a buy one get one free and although it’s rare to get any veggie or vegan items they do happen. That’s when we get them and stock up. It’s not the best, but good for the kids when they don’t want to feel ‘out of place’ at outings et. My youngest have no problem eating vegan around people & will never eat anything w/o asking me first- many people still don’t have a clue what vegan is!
My average monthly bill is about 750/800$ that includes three meals per day & occasional snacks. My non vegan friends with 5 or less in their family spend as much if not more.

jamie January 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I tried being vegan this year as i was vegetarian for the past two years and i found it extremely difficult. First and foremost just about everything has a little egg, cheese, milk, or butter in it. Even bread and spaghetti. I didn’t have a problem eating any mockmeats as they all contained egg in it…at least the ones i’ve looked at. My problem was finding time to cook food. I’ve been to culinary school so i know how to cook. It was just finding the time. Fresh produce is so expensive!!! Im not a fan of beans or legumes at all!! But making some rice or even spicing it up and making coconut rice with coconut milk is always a favorite of mine. I love tofu (which is like $3-4 at walmart) and that only lasts maybe two days when cooked. I love to eat and i am a very skinny girl but since ive been vegan i’ve already lost 4 lbs and i am now down to 110 as opposed to being 114 and im 23!!!!yikes! i can’t afford to lose weight. To even make simple things like an eggless egg salad with tofu! vegenaise is expensive! and then buy the tofu and find a bread with no milk but with fiber! or what if i want oatmeal in the morning? soymilk can be pricey too! vegan eggplant parm? what about vegan fried icecream for dessert? what about italian food? I’ve made pasta from scratch. You need eggs to make pasta….well egg yolks more specifically. What if you want to buy vegan spaghetti? You bet that will cost some $$$$
vegan no chicken base or no beef base are ridiculously high! and although i call companies to thank them for making vegan products as i am truely happy about! I still am aware how difficult it is to continue to be this way. I am a full time college student and I work full time paying out of pocket every paycheck i have for school because i get no financial aid or scholarships and don’t want to spend the rest of my 10 years paying back loans! Sometimes i only have $25 to last me for two weeks!!! juggle in car payment, insurance, gas, and a phone bill and you can see my dilemma. In essence, i would love to be vegan. I would even love to grow my own crops. Im just not seeing the nutritional value of eating vegetables out of a can with some rice, or fruit for that matter. As a chef, i love to be creative with food. I just guess the issue is with me. I dont’ have the time or the energy or the money to live this lifestyle at the moment. But i do recommend it! highly! the health benefits are phenominal!

Memy February 26, 2012 at 2:08 am

Hi Jamie,
Two of my kids are in university as well, and money really can be an issue for students. Hun, if you’re trying to get by on 25 bucks for two weeks, it’s time to start looking for another part time job, do some tutoring or taking in some transcribing…or understand that education is the one type of debt that will pay for itself in the end.

My daughter asks for safeway or costco gift cards for her birthday and yule so she can stock up on oatmeal and frozen veg and berries, then she can spend her grocery money on other neccesarys.

The only other thing that I can suggest is to hit the library and take out some vegan cook-books. They have great recipies for homemade veganaise and lots of ideas. Not liking beans and lentils is probably something that you’re going to need to get over. They are pretty much the best way to get protien. Other sugggestions are Quinoa from costco. As for oatmeal, instead of soymilk, try a bit of applesauce and a sprinkle of cinnamon. It’s really yummy. Frozen veg is far superior to canned and just as high in nutrients.
Cattelli spaghetti has no egg. Most macaronis dont either, but eating grains are nutritionally better for you and can be cheaper.
If being vegan and not being part of the animal cruelty cycle is important to you, learn all you can about nutrition and live your truth.
Good luck,
Memy

Leif July 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Good article, but one little point niggled me towards the end:

“We’ll pick out the bargains, but prices vary on any given week, and if the price difference is significant for something like celery or broccoli, we’ll go for the conventionally grown version.”

Organic IS conventionally grown. Don’t buy into the late-20th century fallacy that organic is some type of bizarre novelty–it’s growing produce without the techno-scientific garbage that has largely contributed to the current state of poor health. It’s au natural!

Not yelling at you, just wanted to point out a viewpoint difference which I think is important, and which I think should be widespread.

Ethan August 10, 2012 at 11:56 am

I totally agree that going vegan can be WAY cheaper than a diet that includes animal products. When I first moved out on my own, I bought a huge sack of rice, a huge sack of beans, and a decent sized bag of slit peas. I shopped around for bargains. I would say that almost everything I ate, with the exception of eating out and eating bolgna sandwiches for lunch, was at least vegetarian, and more likely vegan. It was only once I started being more lax on how much money I spent that I stared buying more meat products, and therefore, my food bill went up. I recently decided to go vegan, and I can already see my food bill is going to drop off significantly. That, and I’m excited to see what new recipes I come up with. Basically, long story short, buy in bulk and look for bargains. Aldi had 29 cent cucumbers the other day. That’s a bangin deal. Also, as far as fast food, my favorite thing on Taco Bell’s menu can be made vegan by omitting the cheese, which I have already done my entire life anyway. Check it all out, yo!

Joe Hills September 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Hi well I am an omnivore but I only consume meat, eggs and dairy from Organic free range systems. So often I eat vegetarian food anyway as it is far less expensive, also I eat mock meats because the organic free range meat I buy is very expensive and I’m student and can’t afford it every week. Even if I could I enjoy eating lots of veg during the week compared to having meat everyday like when I lived at home. I find I am slowly becoming more vegetarian the longer I am at uni, I would NEVER buy cheap meats, never eat meat when I go out for meals unless I KNOW it is organic meat I am eating. I admire Vegans and Vegetarians for their dedication, I don’t think I could ever cut meat completely out of my diet, besides I find it’s important for me and other meat eaters out there to not only reduce meat consumption but also eggs and dairy as animals are involved in those processes too and it can be forgotten about sometimes.

Veggie Lover September 6, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Hi there – I’m also an omnivore, but a HUGE veggie lover. I get my fresh veggies from farmer’s markets which are surprisingly affordable and often organic. But if you can’t do local farmers markets, look for specially priced discount items at your favorite grocery store. My local Save Mart has 99 cent “Manager’s Specials” for excess fruit vegetable overflows that haven’t sold, including ripe or bruised fruit. That’s like shopping at the Dollar Store for your groceries! I’ve found unbelievable bargains at this store. Ripe fruit and veggies are at their peak and meant to be used right away. You can usually cut off any minor imperfections and still eat the rest. I use what I can immediately, then freeze or dehydrate the excess to store for extra savings. Worst case scenario, if you can’t find fresh, affordable, local produce, stock up on canned beans and veggies which have a super long shelf life. You can jazz up just about any bland dish with the right kind of spices. Don’t be afraid to compare store flyers for many different stores until you find the right price. Good luck!

Mike September 9, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I am glad Joe Hills mentioned the issue of organic animal products. One issue I do not see much mentioned is that non-dairy “milk” is generally more expensive than non-organic dairy milk. Yet, when compared to organic milk, non-dairy “milk” costs little if any more.

Moreover, where I live (California central valley), the price of dairy milk is increasing, while the price of non-dairy alternatives is not.

One can make one’s own milk alternatives. Many are time-consuming, but can make a very simple oat “milk” for cooking. One need only blend one cup of rolled oats with 1.5-3 cups milk (depending on desired thickness) and strain the contents with a fine-meshed strainer. The pulp can be eaten as cereal or be used in bean burgers/loaves.

This may not work very well for drinking, but it does work wonderfully in scones/biscuits/soda bread. It also works well in soups (it has strong thickening power), perhaps with some blended nuts/seeds.

Rita April 27, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Most mock meats are really easy to make and because they are essentially veggie with nuts they are quite a bit cheaper than either real meat or prepared mock meats. Most main dishes I make require at the most 1/2 cup of nuts for two to four servings. Even though nuts are expensive per pound 4 oz of nuts is not more than a three or four dollars so we are talking about a buck a serving.
I do usually add some of the prepared mock meats to my pantry for fast food needs. But I always buy them at the Grocery Outlet at least 50 percent normal prices and you can freeze them.

Brooke Cooper July 16, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I think you should also add another section – vegan products such as toothpaste, dish washing liquid and such should also be included.
Most of these products are the second or third cheapest products compared to other brands (just a bit more expensive than home brand stuff) and are great quality!
Being vegetarian for a few years I was quite aware that food wise the vegan diet wouldn’t be expensive, but what did throw me off was all the all stuff.
People should definitely know :)

lena October 10, 2013 at 9:33 am

in my country being a vegan is really expensive like you wouldnt be able to spend less than 175€/week per person (well balanced diet). like if you really want to eat healthy, loads of vegetables and fruits it will cost a fortune