Getting started: avoid the weakness trap

March 18, 2010

After spending more than ten years volunteering weekly in a vegetarian resource centre, I think I’ve gotten a pretty good handle on the reasons people adopt a plant based diet, and maybe more importantly, why they switch back.  Here’s the number one failure reason I’ve heard:

“I tried going vegan, but I just ended up tired all the time.”

And do you want to know the two biggest tragedies about this?  First of all, I don’t hear about it until it’s too late to do anything, because they’ve already changed back and the actual switch is the hardest part to trigger, and secondly, it wouldn’t have mattered because my first reaction was to get defensive and immediately think “they must be doing something wrong, a vegan diet is full of energy!”

After hearing it enough times and gathering enough data, and yes, swallowing my pride, I’ve come to realize that not everyone automatically succeeds on a plant-based diet, and when it comes to physical weakness and fatigue, it’s usually to do with one or two key factors:

Make sure you eat enough

Let’s suppose you’ve decided you’re going to switch from the most average diet around (which, let’s face it, isn’t terribly healthy) to not just vegan, but ubervegan!  Whole foods, no frying, etc.  You’re not a nutritionist, but you just know that a lot of colourful foods is going to be better for you than that hunk of dead animal with fries on the side.  And the range of flavours!  Incredible!

The problem here is that steamed broccoli simply doesn’t have as many calories as feast of roast beast, at least if you fill your plate the same way you’re used to.  You basically have two options, either dramatically increase your portion sizes or consciously add some more calorie-dense foods to your meal (the typically lower fat content of plant-based foods is usually the culprit in the calorie differential.)

Over time, you’ll have no trouble meeting (and then exceeding, possibly by far) your calorie needs on a plant based diet, but a lot of beginners make the mistake of judging nutritional content by how much of their plate is covered.

This problem is often compounded by one of the side effects of not getting enough calories: you lose weight.  For a lot of us, that’s a good thing, and we’re wired up to keep doing the things that give us rewards, so we’ll continue to eat the way we do, lose weight, and somehow manage to not associate the fatigue with the weight loss.  I know it sounds silly, but when you think you’re eating enough (and the majority of people have no idea how many calories they consume a day, vegan or otherwise,) it’s easy to attribute the weight loss to some magic property of plant-based foods, and not the obvious fact that you’re not consuming enough.

The solution to feeling weak as a new vegan is pretty easy: weigh yourself every day.  If it’s going down, eat more.  As long as you’re eating actual food, which I’ll talk about in a moment, and not, say, potato chips/crisps to meet the deficit, your energy levels will take care of themselves.

Eat well

The other trap that new vegans sometimes run into with weakness is due to an over reliance on processed vegan-friendly transition foods.  This is usually less of a problem than the simple calorie count above, but it’s worth a quick discussion.

While mock meats, cheeses, etc are handy, if you approach veganism by simply replacing animal products with their analogues and keeping everything else the same, you might be doing your body a disservice.  Don’t get me wrong; these foods are really useful, and we still consume them fairly often ourselves, but they’re heavily processed, typically high in sodium, and while I’m not a nutritionist, I can’t recommend them as a significant part of your diet.

Looking at it another way, if you ate nothing but hot dogs all day, you probably wouldn’t expect to feel great.  Why would a diet of primarily veggie dogs be any better?

Try to get yourself on whole foods as soon as possible.  As I suggested in 3 quick tips for getting started as a vegan, you only really need four good recipes to get things going, and you’ll find yourself feeling a lot better right away.

Next steps

Being vegan doesn’t have to mean counting every calorie.  I rarely track my nutrition on a daily basis, but it’s a useful exercise for everyone to do one or two weeks of each year to see where they’re at.  I always find it funny that people will ask me how I get my protein but they don’t have any idea how many grams they themselves consume on any given day.

One free tool I’ve found handy is the nutrition log on Daily Burn.  They’ve got tons of foods in their database, and it’s one of the easiest interfaces I’ve seen.  As I’ve said, you probably don’t need to do this obsessively, but if you’re just getting started on a brand new diet, something like this can be a huge benefit towards making sure you’ve got your bases covered.

And most importantly, if you’re encountering problems with a vegan diet, ask for advice!  There are millions of vegans in North America alone, and they’re probably not all misguided fools surviving on sheer willpower :)  Leverage any vegans you know along with the internet, including sites like ours, and set yourself up for success by asking for help before and after you run into problems – I don’t want to run into you a year from now and hear another “I tried it but…” story!

anna October 24, 2013 at 11:21 pm

hello, i am new to vegan diet, and have been eating all vegetables, tofu, and rice/noodles for about 3 months. I feel very tired, and lacked energy. This is also compounded with the fact that i am anemic so i take one iron pill per day, along with calcium, multi-vitamins, omega 3 pill (plant based), and iron, and yet i still feel very tired. I am new to cooking beans, so i started with making humus, and still feel very tired. I eat tons of tofu already. I half suspected that my body is just adapting to this new diet, and thus maybe feeling more tired than usual. But now after 3 months, i still feel very tired, and my feet and legs feel heavy, actually whole body feel heavy. If anyone can suggest anything, i would be very grateful. I live in the part of the country where getting organic food isn’t very easy, so a lot of the ingredients i can’t find here. Are there any substitutes ? thanks so much!

Ron Malibu October 27, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I’m a 6 week vegan and losing weight semi-intentionally. I had heard of b-vitamin deficiencies, and am trying B12. Is ther anything else supplement wise I could try?

health October 30, 2013 at 1:35 am

Hi there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to look it
over. I’m definitely loving the information. I’m
book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
Exceptional blog and great design and style.

omega juicer model 8005 November 3, 2013 at 7:19 am

Your means of explaining everything in this piece of writing is truly
pleasant, all be able to without difficulty be aware of it, Thanks
a lot.

Desiree November 12, 2013 at 1:26 am

I am new to a vegan diet. I have quit all meat, dairy and cooking oils “cold turkey”. My energy level is fine and i feel great but I am having a calorie deficit of an average of 800 calories per day and i am concerned what this means nutritionally.
I eat a very minimal amount of processed food. With the addition of more whole foods, i feel satiated longer than i ever remember being on an omnivore diet. Even with a daily addition of nuts and nut butters i am not reaching my goal of 1840 calories and if i work out it is an even larger deficit than 800 calories.
Do you have any suggestions for adding calories? or should i just continue to listen to my body and not worry about it unless my energy level decreases?

Thomas November 21, 2013 at 9:17 am

Why visitors still make use of to read news papers when in this
technological globe all is accessible on net?

Distributor HealthSource Distributors November 28, 2013 at 3:26 am

For instance, it health america insurance makes no sense to try to come in
on a regular basis. Prior to getting health insurance
and ready to make decisions regarding your status. Family health insurance plan health america insurance is very important.

kp February 7, 2014 at 4:56 pm

i too find myself very tired, been (mostly) vegan now since july (7 mths). i juice each morning, eat salads and veggies raw and cooked (organic as much as possible), beans, quinoa, b12, multi-vitas, omega 3-6-8, flash seeds & oil, coconut oil, no sugar .. i’m putting on weight as i seem to want to eat all the time, even when not hungry (not over/under weight). Any tips?

Mirna Orozco March 24, 2014 at 12:55 am

Started this vegetables, fruits and nuts diet, i will do it for 10 day, but planning to become a vegetarian for health purposes. its being 3 days now, and i feel energy deficient and my head just keep on
pondering, i never had headaches like this in my life, what is going on?

the full report May 5, 2014 at 10:38 pm

ecigs Weakness on a vegan diet: 2 traps to avoid

David May 14, 2014 at 2:04 am

@mirna orozco Sounds like you’re having a detox reaction. I’ve been vegetarian now for about six weeks and am gaining, not losing fat. I work out intensely at the gym 3 times a week. It’s a mixed bag: I have less liver discomfort (maybe due to less of a toxic load from factory-farmed meat products here in China, air is already very toxic) but I am feeling sluggish, weak and frankly in need of a ‘good feed’, despite cooking lots of supposedly ‘good veggie food’ from books like Mouthwatering Vegan, Mayim’s Vegan Table, etc. I wanted to stop meat for animal cruelty reasons, my dilemma is that I cannot sustain this feeling as crappy as I now do. Any ideas most welcome.

Dennis May 24, 2014 at 7:06 am

Vitamin B12 is critical for vegans. I take time released 1000mg daily. Also I’ve been making Indian vegetarian reciepes and their bold taste are more satisfying as a meat substitute.

is fat burning chef a scam July 4, 2014 at 2:45 am

We really are handing out free samples of quality chocolate bars.
In order to be qualified, merely answer our comment along with your address and we will ship it out over the following day.

get more information July 18, 2014 at 9:29 pm

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you
create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?

Plz answer back as I’m looking to construct my own blog and would
like to know where u got this from. thanks

Fat Burning by raspberry ketones July 20, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Your style is so unique in comparison to other folks I’ve read stuff from.
Many thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I’ll just bookmark this web site.

diet pill reviews for women July 20, 2014 at 3:17 pm

This blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I
have found something which helped me. Many thanks!

diet jump start July 22, 2014 at 3:52 am

you’гe in reality a just right weƄmaster. The wweb ѕite loading speed is amazing.
It kind of feels thɑt you are doing any distinctivе trick.

Also, The сontents are masterpiece. you have done a
excelloent process on this subject!