How to use a Pressure Cooker

February 23, 2010

We’re back! This week we’re not doing a recipe, but we are going over how to use a valuable piece of the modern kitchen arsenal: the pressure cooker. This thing makes dry beans a real possibility, with 10 minute cooking times instead of the 1-2 hours you’d spend boiling them in a regular pot, which means you save time over cooking dry and money/space over cans!

What do you use your pressure cooker for? How do you like our new “kitchen studio”? What’s next on your “I need to figure this out” list? Let us know in the comments!

Pew "Diddy" Willows February 23, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Due to your wonderful instructional video Jason, I just realized the ideal gas law* both explains cooking beans in a pressure cooker and the farts they produce in one’s colon.

Beeeeaaaaarrrrrrdddd.

New kitchen studio for the win.

pew

*Piv Nert for mah bitches The more you know, eh? ;)

Molly March 10, 2010 at 11:29 am

Thank you so much! I was really intimidated, but you made this look easy. Now, to just find one for an affordable price…. ;)

Jason March 10, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Molly, I’m just happy to know that I’m not the only one who was intimidated by the power of steam! Good luck shopping, but remember that these things last a good long time and are going to save you time and money every time you use them, so it’s not a bad investment (if you have the cash hanging around, of course!)

Erin October 14, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Thank you for this! After an explosion I witnessed in my mother’s kitchen as a child, I have lived in fear of the pressure cooker. Lately, however, I have been reading about canning your own beans and that requires the pressure cooker to do this safely. I’m still on the fence about buying another appliance, but at least you’ve taken a lot of the fear out of it. I can still see that red splattered ceiling in my mind…

Jason October 14, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Oh man, that can actually happen? I thought that was just me being paranoid, like a “wings falling off the plane” thing. With my model of cooker it’d be pretty difficult, but unfortunately I haven’t been able to find them outside of Canada. The locking technology on most models seems to have advanced a fair bit though, so I’m sure you’ll do fine, and beans in the cooker have changed everything for me!

jerseysdt8963 September 8, 2014 at 8:19 am

An excellent post. Thank you!

t shirt printing October 30, 2014 at 5:21 pm

If you want to advertise your company, you will have to stress
on visibility, simplicity, precision, catchiness and
logo. For instance, delight them by rolling twenty-five golf balls branded with
their names as well as faces all around their family room floor.
To get the best effect, you should wear a slightly loose Abercrombie & Fitch shirt.